The Best Shampoo For Extensions in 2023
Hair extensions are the best alternative for saving time and getting your desired hairstyle. Those days are gone when we waited years to grow our hair long enough to achieve the coveted Rapunzel look or spent countless times in the salon to get that perfect long ponytail. A billion thanks to the magic of hair extensions, which can help us attain our own hair growth goals in no time!
However, these may cost you an arm and a leg. And just like natural hair, they demand special care and maintenance. Extensions can become dry and frizzy without the right hair care products, sometimes leading to permanent damage.
It is essential to wash hair extensions occasionally with the recommended shampoos and conditioners to keep their luscious shine and real healthy look. If you are using hair extensions and are here to need help with the best hair shampoo for extensions. Hang on with me because this article is for you!
Best Shampoo for Extensions- A Quick Overview
We’ve tested shampoos on different types of extensions and curated a list of the best shampoos for extensions that can do wonders.
In this guide, I’ll cover the Top Seven clarifying shampoos for extensions and a few best conditioners. You’ll also learn what to look for when choosing the right shampoo for extensions and other important information regarding tape-ins and hand-tied extensions.
Let’s start our journey to get the dream hair look you want with the extensions without further ado!
COLOR WOW Color Security Shampoo ( best hair shampoo for extensions)
COLOR WOW Color Security ShampooColor WOW Security Shampoo is ideal for color-treated hair. It won’t give any yellow tones to your blonde hair. Moreover, it is formulated with hydrolyzed Keratin that helps to repair and hydrate hair, especially to combat the damage done by heat or chemical treatments. WOW, it locks in the shade, making it more visible and shiny.
Many hair professionals recommend Color WOW for providing 100% clean hair with no residue left behind, leaving you with cleaner, softer, and healthier extensions. The best part is you can go a week between washes!
This best sulfate-free shampoo for extensions is especially suitable for your dyed extensions as they are recommended to be washed less frequently than natural hair. I highly recommend Color WOW Color Security Shampoo if your extensions are blonde or light-colored.
What I found best?
- It is sulfate, paraben- free and very gentle on your tape-ins.
- It contains Butylene Glycol helping to keep your locks hydrated and preventing them from becoming too dry or brittle.
- And the added glycerin helps to moisturize and hydrate the hair, making it smoother and more manageable.
- Salon quality shampoo that gives you cleaner, softer, and shiny hair after every wash.
OGX Nourishing + Coconut Milk Shampoo (best professional shampoo for extensions)
Based on my experience, I have ranked OGX Nourishing + Coconut Milk Moisturizing Shampoo among the top five shampoos due to its alcohol-free and sulphate-free formula. I have used this coconut milk shampoo and conditioner on my thick hair extensions, exceeding my expectations.
The conditioner worked wonders on my extensions. A little goes a long to cover my curly hair, and it is easy to work through my locks. Moreover, After using OGX shampoo, my extensions felt incredibly soft, and my curls looked terrific.
Overall, the best shampoo is sulfate-free for extensions and for your natural hair.
Why is it the best shampoo for extension hair?
- The Coconut Milk and coconut oil in the shampoo make it best for frizzy and damaged hair.
- It nourishes and hydrates hair extensions, adds shine, prevents breakage and split ends, and makes the scalp healthy.
- Egg White Protein strengthens and repairs hair, reduces breakage, adds shine and texture, and extends the life of your tape-ins.
- It deeply hydrates and reduces frizz.
- And the smell is so amazing.
Moroccanoil Moisture Repair Shampoo (best drugstore shampoo for extensions)
If your hair extensions became extremely dry and brittle due to excessive heat exposure and chemical treatment, try Moroccanoil Moisture Repair Shampoo and Conditioner. It’s enriched with keratin protein and argan oil, strengthening your hair gently. And make it look and feel so much healthier.
Whether your strands are damaged from too much heat styling or coloring, this gentle formula will help restore them to their former glory. The result will surprise you as their products worked wonders on many extensions!
Within six months of using them, your extensions will look transformed entirely – healthy, nourished, and full of life. Moroccanoil moisture repair shampoo leaves your locks soft, shiny, and tangle-free.
Here is why you should give it a try:
- It’s free from paraben, phosphate, and sulfate.
- Styling damaged hair: Argon Oil works by deeply moisturizing your hair and protecting hair from damage caused by styling tools and environmental stressors.
- The formula is enriched with reconstructive Keratin, which works wonders to restore elasticity, moisture, and shine to even the driest and most damaged hair extensions.
- Prevent hair breakage and split end.
- Smoothing frizz and flyaways.
L’Oreal Paris, Purple Shampoo and Conditioner (Best shampoo and conditioner for tape in extensions)
Continued use of Ever Pure Purple Brass Toning Shampoo and Conditioner can help prevent future brassiness and maintain the desired shade of your extensions. The hibiscus and purple dye in the formula not only neutralize unwanted tones but also add a beautiful violet hue to your extensions, making them look refreshed and revitalized.
The vegan and cruelty-free formula is gentle on your extensions and the environment. Overall, Say goodbye to brassy extensions and hello to radiant, healthy-looking hair with Ever Pure Purple Brass Toning Shampoo and Conditioner.
- Purple dye in hair shampoo helps neutralize yellow and orange tones in blonde or silver hair, giving it a cooler, more vibrant appearance.
- The Mild and gentle formula makes it the best shampoo and conditioner for hair extensions.
- Hibiscus extracts in shampoo can provide a range of benefits for hair and tape-in, such as strengthening hair and enhancing hair shine and gloss.
- The Hydrating Formula makes your synthetic hair nourished, soft, and full of life.
Tea Tree Special Shampoo and Lemon Sage Conditioner (Best shampoo and conditioner for tape in hair extensions)
Do you want to discover the deep cleansing that will keep your extensions feeling remarkably fresh? As someone with naturally oily hair, I know the struggle of finding a shampoo that can remove all that excess oil without leaving your hair stripped or dry.
But allow me to tell you this shampoo and conditioner would be a fresh start for oily or greasy extensions. It works wonders in eliminating oil buildup, offering a refreshing sensation yet never compromising the moisture balance of your locks. Its smell is awesome and truly a blessing in a bottle!
So, you should not hesitate to incorporate this tea tree shampoo and lemon sage conditioner into your daily routine for a clarifying and soothing experience.
- You’ll enjoy luscious locks with boosted volume and a stunning appearance.
- It is the best conditioner for extensions to detangle hair and make it smooth and more manageable.
- Perfect for all hair types.
- The added Tea tree oil washes the hair extensions and makes them lively and clean.
- Best shampoo for hand-tied extensions as it does a great job killing the itchy scalps.
B3 Brazilian Bondbuilder (Best Shampoo For Hair Extensions )
B3 is the best shampoo for tape-in hair extensions. It is specially formulated to keep Remy’s human hair extensions needs in mind. This is a fantastic choice for anyone who wants to maintain healthy and robust hair, whether natural or with extensions.
This multi-active cleanser removes excess oil and buildup and helps reinforce fiber strength, preventing debris from collecting. It won’t loosen bonds or adhesives, making it perfect for use with hair extensions.
One of the best things about this shampoo is that it washes away impurities without stripping the hair’s natural oils, leaving it feeling soft and seamless between adjustment points. Moreover, it won’t fade your hair color, making it a superior choice for color-treated hair. This shampoo is sulfate-free and mild on both natural and extension hair.
Overall, B3 Brazilian Bond Builder Shampoo is a high-quality product that lives up to its promises. I highly recommend SheaMoisture’s residue remover shampoo to anyone searching for a gentle, sulfate-free option that cleanses and protects hair color.
What do I like most?
- The added Hydrogenated Castor Oil helps moisturize and strengthen the Remy hair while promoting your natural hair’s growth.
- The inclusion of Kernel Oil and essential fatty acids in the formula aids in the nourishment and hydration of the hair, resulting in a soft and glossy appearance.
- The presence of Rosa Canina Fruit Extract in the product offers a wealth of antioxidants and vitamins, which effectively safeguard and restore the hair from the detrimental effects caused by chemical treatments and heat styling.
- The formula is packed with all the ingredients one could look for in the best Shampoo for keratin bond extensions.
SheaMoisture Shampoo for hair extensions (best shampoo for human hair extensions)
Regarding removing buildup and residue from synthetic and natural hair extensions, SheaMoisture’s residue remover shampoo is the best choice.
Are you worried about the harsh effects of detox shampoos? Fear not! It is the best sulfate-free shampoo for tap-in extensions, packed with natural and mild ingredients. So it won’t make your hair extensions dry and brittle.
With SheaMoisture, you won’t need conditioner—this shampoo alone will leave your wig detangled and your hair soft enough and shiny! Many hair stylists recommend using this shampoo to clean synthetic hair, treating it just as you would your hair and finishing with a rinse of cold water.
Best shampoo for hand-tied extensions: Here is why.
- This hydrating and sulfate-free Shampoo offers deep cleansing, purifying, and nourishing benefits.
- The distinctive combination of tea tree oil, borage seed oil, and aloe vera in this product effectively and swiftly removes any remaining residue without depriving your hair of its natural oils.
- This tea tree Shampoo is gentle enough to use daily to clarify and soothe your wigs.
Olaplex No. 5 Bond Maintenance Conditioner(The best conditioner for hair extension)
Immerse yourself in the remarkable results of this repairing conditioner specially designed to protect and revive damaged hair, mend split ends, and tame frizz by reconnecting weakened bonds.
Embrace the revitalizing benefits of this best conditioner for tape in extensions as it strengthens and enhances the overall health of your hair, leaving it renewed and polished.
Why is it the best conditioner for extensions?
- Olaplex effectively repairs and restores broken sulphur bonds in the hair.
- Promotes strength and vitality of tape-ins.
- Equally beneficial for all hair types.
- Very mild and gentle.
Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Dry Shampoo (Best dry shampoo for extensions)
This is the Bonus for you guys! Let me introduce you to a remarkable product that will revolutionize how you experience clean, refreshed hair in no time.
It’s a game-changer when it comes to instantly absorbing excess oil, giving your hair that just-washed feeling without any water needed. And don’t worry about the white residue that often accompanies dry shampoos because this one is different.
Moreover, the delightful toasted coconut scent will take you to a tropical paradise if we talk about the fragrance. This dry shampoo is convenient and crafted with the highest quality ingredients, ensuring your hair gets the care it deserves. So if you are looking for the best dry shampoo for extensions, look no further.
Benefits worth mentioning
- Best sulfate-free dry clarifying Shampoo for extensions.
- Make your hair clean, soft, and refreshed in no time.
- Not only does it eliminate oil, but it also effortlessly adds a beautiful, effortless texture reminiscent of a day at the beach.
- No white residue after cleansing.
- Pleasant toasted coconut smell.
Buying Guide: How To Pick The Best Shampoo For Hair Extensions
Moisture is Vital
- When searching for the best Shampoo and conditioner for hair extensions, it’s vital to prioritize ingredients that won’t steal moisture from your hair.
- Choose shampoos that provide hydration and nourishment to keep your extensions in optimal condition.
- Always opt for products that contain gentle surfactants.
Avoid these Sulfate Ingredients
- Harsh cleansers can cause tangling and matting in your extensions. Look for shampoos with gentle cleansers that effectively remove dirt and buildup without causing excessive friction.
- To preserve the health and longevity of your extensions, it is crucial to steer clear of harsh surfactants that can excessively remove moisture from them.
- Look for options free from sulfates, such as Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate (ALS), alcohol, and paraben.
For optimal results, I recommend co-washing and adding a few drops of Olive or Coconut oil to your conditioner to boost hydration. Your extensions will thank you for the added nourishment and care!
How to wash hair extensions?
Wash your extension like a pro by following these simple steps.
- Detangle the extensions before washing.
- Use lukewarm water to wet the extensions.
- Apply shampoo to the roots and scalp, avoiding rubbing or tangling.
- Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water until shampoo is removed.
- Apply conditioner to the mid-lengths and ends.
- Rinse out the conditioner with lukewarm water.
- Gently squeeze out excess water, avoiding rubbing or wringing.
- Air dry the extensions on a clean towel.
- Wash extensions sparingly every 1-2 weeks to maintain their quality.
How to wash hair extensions before use?
Many hair stylists recommend washing new extensions as well. To do so, follow the steps below.
- Fill the sink with lukewarm water.
- Add gentle shampoo and mix.
- Immerse extensions and gently comb through.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water.
- Apply extension-specific conditioner.
- Rinse out the conditioner thoroughly.
- Squeeze out excess water with a towel.
- Lay flat to air dry, or use a low-heat blow dryer.
The Essentials to Keep Your Extensions Healthy and Clean
- Proper hair care routine and maintenance are essential to keep the quality of hair extensions.
- When selecting a shampoo or conditioner for your extensions, look for high-quality products with natural ingredients that are gentle and sulfate-free. These will keep hair extensions soft and beautiful without stripping them of natural oils or causing additional damage.
- Unlike natural hair, extensions don’t receive any oil from your scalp. Therefore, overwashing hair regularly or using harsh products can make them look lifeless and gross, so washing them every alternate day is good.
- You can also incorporate a leave-in treatment like argan oil or Bed Head After Party cream to add nourishment and shine to your extensions.
- Using hair care products in moderation is essential, as excessive use can lead to product buildup and make your wings appear greasy.
Wrap-up: Best hair shampoo for extensions
To ensure that your extensions last longer and look great, it’s essential to trim them regularly, clean them often with the best shampoo for the extensions, and give them deep conditioning treatments from the middle of the hair to the ends. This advice applies to both tape-in and hand-tied extensions.
People Also Ask
Can you wash hair with tape in extensions?
Yes, you can wash your hair as usual with tape-in extensions. However, use a gentle sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner, and be gentle while washing. It is good to air dry your hair after washing or set your blow-dryer at a low heat when blow-drying.
How frequently can you wash your hair extensions?
You can wash out your extensions just like your natural hair. However, many extensions users usually find they can go a little longer between washes! So using your extensions 1-2 times a week is ideal.